Guidelines for workplaces, public premises, schools and underground works
In the UK or NI if your workplace comes under any of the following categories it should be tested:
- Your building is in a radon Affected Area, unless a detailed assessment shows good reason to expect the radon level to be low.
- Your building has a basement area that is occupied for more than 50 hours each year
- You operate a mine, cave, or are responsible for any underground environments
- Your business involves a suspected radon source such as ground water (e.g. water treatment works) or stored geological samples.
Radon is a radioactive gas, we can’t see, smell or taste it and you need special equipment to detect it. It comes from the rocks and soil found everywhere in the UK so that underground areas are more likely to have high radon levels.
Therefore, any frequently occupied basements should also be tested, regardless of whether or not the site is in an Affected Area. Specialist advice should be sought for wholly underground workplaces such as mines, tunnels and caves and if there are internal sources of radon such as geological samples.
Measurement of radon levels using Rapidos® is generally undertaken in ground floor rooms that are used routinely. Rooms on higher floors, or those in which people spend little time, do not generally need to be tested.
The recommended number of detectors required to test for radon in a workplace are as follows:
- Office, individual or small – One Rapidos® per 100 m2, generally corresponds to between half and third of all ground floor rooms
- Open plan office, and retail or workshop up to about 1000m2, also public access areas – One Rapidos® per 250 m2
- As previous up to 5000 m2– one Rapidos® per 500 m2
- Very large areas – One Rapidos® for each distinct area with obviously different environmental conditions, not less than one Rapidos® per 1000 m2
- Basements – One Rapidos® in each separate room, section or area irrespective of size, if occupied more than 50 hours per year
- Wholly underground – At least one Rapidos® in each main working area, and other normally occupied areas)
As part of our package you will receive:
- 1 x Rapidos® detector in a sealed bag
- Delivery free of charge within the UK and NI
- Clear instructions for use which show where the detectors should be located
- A secure online account with log in details for recording start and finish dates
- Online analysis and measurement report from our accredited laboratory within 1-2 weeks after the laboratory has received the detectors
- If the measurement has been performed correctly according to instructions, an average annual value for short-term measurement of radon content for the individual measurement points
- Telephone support if you require help
When ordering more than 200 detectors, please request a quotation.
Do you have any questions about rapid radon measurement in workplaces, public premises or schools?
You can always contact our hub in the UK by e-mail or phone.